His first fever



So much for a chock-full-of-plans weekend.

It began Friday night as we waited for our seats at P.F. Chang’s at the Natick Mall with our friend. Jameson seemed sleepy, and didn’t want to walk around or interact much, but I chalked it up to being tired. Then, all of a sudden, he threw up all over my wife and the floor. It came on SO fast we didn’t know what was happening! Poor guy. (Not to mention embarrassing!) I thought maybe I just fed him too quickly before we left home, so we waited and finally sat down. By the time we ordered, he was snuggled into my wife’s chest and asleep. 

We enjoyed dinner and good conversation with our friend and eventually he woke up and played with our friend as I finished my dinner.

When we got home I gave him a “just in case” dose of Tylenol. I was trying to convince myself he was fine so we could continue with the weekend as scheduled, but deep down I think I knew he was not himself.

Saturday started crazy, as expected, with me rushing to Lincoln to get the museum pass for the New England Aquarium trip Sunday, then home to get my hair cut and colored. Jen met me with Jameson so he could get his hair cut and the minute he walked in, I knew he was sick. His cheeks were maroon and he could barely lift his head off her shoulder. Thea managed to do his cut while Jen held him and it came out nicely, but we decided Jen and J would stay home from Mary Catherine’s birthday, hoping he’d sleep off his fever for the aquarium.

No luck.

I returned from the birthday and called the doc. His fever was registering at mid-103 and I started the “parent panic.” She said he’s fine, give Motrin and call in 2 days if he wasn’t better. Annoyed that she was not worried, I did as she said. After an hour, the Motrin brought his fever down a point and he managed a small smile. But I knew the Sunday outing would not happen, sadly. 

I called and let Jen’s cousins know, then snuggled Jameson until he fell asleep.

Sunday turned out to be a PJs day, with his fever yo-yo’ing between 101 and 103. After a tepid bath, though, it seemed to stay at 101. As of this morning, it’s 98.6 and I am a happy Mama. But not before I broke into tears a few times. How awful to see your baby sick. And the panic part included me wondering if him falling asleep was him passing out because he was so lethargic. Ugh. Let’s hope that doesn’t happen again anytime soon.

Best thing ever was walking in to get him this morning and seeing him jumping and laughing in his crib. The fever—and panic—has passed!


About finallyimamama

After 4.5 years of infertility, I am a mom to an amazing boy! Follow me as I meander the path of parenthood as a disabled, first-time mom.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s